Coating is the first line of defence against mechanical damage and corrosion of the steel object in an electrolyt. The sort and type of coating preferred depends on the area of application. Older coatings are mostly bitumen coatings, which are no longer used. One of the reasons is that they often contain asbestos. This is why nowadays PE-coatings are employed. There are various repair systems for restoring damaged coating.
Coating repair/applied systems
Damage to the outer casings can have several causes. It can occur during application in the factory, during storage or transport, during instalment of the pipes or during operation. Prior to the repair of the pipes a visual inspection has to take place, which consists of three parts:
- Investigating the coating (coating type, thickness, damages etc.)
- Investigating the steel surface (colour of the surface, (type) of corrosion present etc.)
- Determining the coating (repair) system to be used
- Protegol (spot repair epoxy coating)
With respect to damage control, Korf KB can be of full service to the owners of pipeline systems. This is because we have the resources to execute an entire ‘project’. Some examples of tasks that we can conduct on your behalf are:
- Application of permits/gaining approval of the municipality, province etc.
- Organising road blocks in accordance with CROW 96B
- Excavating the pipeline
- Conducting a visual inspection
- Coating repair
- Flashing repaired coating
- Refilling the excavation site and finishing off
- Providing a final acceptance report